If you’re concerned about someone’s safety

As with any emergency – if you are seriously concerned about your loved one’s safety due to their behaviour or threats of harm to themselves or others, call 111.

All DHBs also have Crisis Mental Health Services, staffed by trained clinicians, who will do urgent assessments and offer support and treatment to people who are in acute distress. You will find the details of your local service in the following link. If for some reason you cannot get hold of them, you can also take your loved one into the Emergency Department.

If you’re worried, but not sure what to do or how you can help, you can also call 1737. This is a helpline manned by trained counsellors, who will be able to help you work out what to do, and provide you with support for yourself in handling this difficult situation.